History of St Pius X Church
An Excerpt from St Pius X Church Silver Jubilee Booklet.
(Copies available to read only, at the Archives, Pompellier Diocesan Centre)
The Parish was formally established in February 1956 and Father Patrick O’Reilly was appointed Parish Priest. The site purchased by the Diocese was 5 acres of hill, covered in gorse and scrub. Not to be put off by such trivial matters, Father soon arranged for 200,000 cubic yards of soil to be removed and re-located.
The completed church was blessed and opened by the Vicar General, Right Reverend Monsignor Cahill, on Easter Sunday, April 21st, 1957.
The great thing about this period was that everyone knew everybody else; and if anyone needed assistance for any reason, help was not long in coming. Working bees, which were well attended, became great social events for the parish family.
The Cenacle Convent was the first Catholic institution to be established in the district, that was in Sept 1953. Sacred Heart College was opened in 1955, and for a period, before our church was built, a room in the College was set up as a temporary Chapel and Sunday Mass was celebrated there.
( R.Piaggi and M. O’Flaherty) 1982